I've been very convicted lately by my newest read, Parenting by the Book, by Dr. John Rosemond. He is one of the "old school" docs along with Dr. Dobson and Dr. Lehman :) And much kudos to my awesome brother-in-law for surprising me with this book through the mail :) It was a nice package to open!
Before reading this, I had never thought about how parenting has drastically changed since the late 60's early 70's. I have wondered, "Why in the heck was it SO easy back then to parent? Why were children much better behaved?". It's because of "psycho-babble" and "ADHD" and all that other nonsense. Post-modern Psychological Parenting (PMP) is the term he has coined for the way parents parent their children now a days. Long gone is the advice from "Grandma" and how quickly parents send their kids to therapists for "behavior" issues when the real issue is parents don't know how to parent. Not to say I do this perfectly. HA HA is what I have to say about that if you know my amazing but stubborn 2 year old.
I'm not going to keep babbling about the book...because I could bore you on things that may not be of interest. But I do have to mention 10 verses that Dr. Rosemond pointed out about "what the Bible says" about discipline. I am not afraid to spank. I'm not afraid to discipline. I'm doing it out of love and out of obedience to My Heavenly Father.
1. Discipline and love are two sides of the same coin.
The Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in (Proverbs 3:12)
2. Punishment is NEVER pleasant but produces great benefit for the person punished
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it (Hebrews 12:11)
3. Punishment is essential to proper discipline
Because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son (Hebrews 12:6)
4. Proper discipline validates a child
If you are not disciplined....then you are illegitimate children and not true sons (Hebrews 12:8)
5. Obedient children are pleasing to their parents
Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul (Proverbs 29:17)
6. Children are to obey their parents
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord (Colossians 3:20)
These six stood out to me. And I copied everything he said...so yes I'm plagiarizing but I'm admitting they are not my own thoughts!
God has really been working in my heart about turning to the Word for EVERYTHING. It's a good practice to start and I've seen a dramatic change that He's made within me.
I highly recommend this book. It is biblically sound...a little old school, but hey.....I would rather be "old school" than considered part of the generation now that I am in. Parents have it all wrong....I wish I could just tell everyone about this!
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
LOve the blog page!! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to pick it up soon.
Hope all is well with your beautiful family.
I don't have children but I totally need this book to get prepared :)
Post a Comment