Monday, June 7, 2010

Camping at Buck Creek

We had a FABULOUS weekend in Springfield at Buck Creek park with our small group from church! And I'm always sure to pronounce it Buc"K" Creek so people won't think I'm saying Butt Creek. It does sound kinda funny though :)

This was our first adventure with Little Miss. And I must say...I am VERY impressed with how she did this weekend!




We left Friday afternoon after supper driving into a torrential downpour. We were really bummed and just hoping it wasn't raining 30 minutes away! We pulled up to the campsite and it was so pretty outside, though a little humid. We set up camp and hung out with our friends waiting for the rest to arrive! We had a great evening at the park and enjoyed s'mores over a campfire.

I was wondering how WC was going to do with sleep times. We borrowed a large tent from a friend that fit a queen size blow up mattress, our luggage, Rosie, and the pack n play. With room to spare! I could stand straight up in it!  Luckily, there were other families there with small children, so everyone would understand if we had a crying it out session!  WC didn't go to sleep until wayyyyy past dark (like ten pm) but slept 8 straight hours and waking with the birds. LITERALLY. She was up at 6 ready to play! I'm glad the other families got up then too so we weren't the only ones moseying around the site!



Saturday was a day of rain and storms. It would be nice for an hour, then pour for 15 minutes and that when on all day. The guys went and played disc golf for a few hours in the morning while the girls playing around with the kids! Then we escaped to Dairy Queen (which the didn't know about! ha!) then enjoyed a nice game of Apples to Apples before heading out. Our plan was to have a big cookout at the camp site, but mother nature had other plans for us. We scrambled around in the rain trying to gather all of our dinner things and packed everyone and everything into the cars! We actually found a pretty cool place to cook at that even included our own wildlife. Momma Raccoon decided to show herself to find food for her baby that was hanging out in the tree!

Half of the people left at dusk because there was a huge thunderstorm coming. Only the brave ones stayed! ha! (love you wimpies!) The storm started about 230 and I can't believe WC didn't wake up at all! All of our tents moved over a foot or two from the winds and I'm surprised our tent didn't completely cave in. I kept getting slapped in the face by our tent!

Sunday morning was really wet and dreary. We had more plans for a glorious camp site breakfast, but Bob Evans sounded a WHOLE lot better! 6 of us loaded up and cleaned up the camp site then we took the 15 minute drive to the best breakfast I've had in a looooong time. Too bad we were eating with the Sunday crowd when most of us hadn't showered the whole weekend. (I did)

It was such an awesome time and we are blessed with awesome friends. They are understanding and truly care about you! And there kids are pretty cool too :)

No comments: