Just let me tell you how hot a gas fireplace glass cover can be....well I can't tell you, and it WC could talk, she would tell you!!! It happened so fast......
We were visiting with a friends and I just finished with her diaper change. As I was wrapping up the diaper, she made a mad dash to the fireplace and right before I could grab her, she touched the glass pane for .5 seconds. I have never heard such a scream come from a child. It was the scariest sound. I am glad that I had a friend with me to tell me what to do because panic mode set it. After 20 minutes of screaming and her hand was turning really red, we both agreed that I should take WC to the ER. So we made the short drive to Children's where we were immediately taken to triage. It makes me sound important, but really they just weren't that busy.
The nurses agreed that it looked pretty bad. The outside of her palm was a bright red and the middle of her palm and fingertips were blistered with a purple tint to them. They gave her some pain meds and then she fell asleep on me. It didn't help that this happened right when we were about to leave because it was nap time.
The doctor called down the hand surgeon and they numbed her hand then clipped the dead skin off. That was disgusting. WC was brave....she didn't start crying until they were wrapping her hand in a cute pink bandage.
We had a great experience at Children's. All the doctors and nurses were very nice and also made sure that I was comfortable and asking me if I needed anything. They obviously saw I was distressed....
So now we will go visit the Pediatric Surgeon at Children's tomorrow at one so he can look at her hand more to see if she'll need a hand graft. She probably won't, and that's what we hope won't happen!!!
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
i know you must have been so scared! im glad she is ok!
I'm glad she's relatively ok and will be praying for quick healing! Please keep us updated
I can't believe I missed this! I am so sorry...I know you must have been scared!
Post a Comment